Thursday, August 23, 2012

Rockstars in Paradise


This story starts about 15 years ago when these two mini rock stars were spending some time with their grandparents:


They were watching music videos on CMT. Remember when music television stations actually played music? Anywhooo, they stumbled across the video below and fell in love. For some reason the piano on the sand and perfect little family in the house with no ceiling and no walls appealed to them.



Fast forward to today, those cousins still text each other every time Just Another Day In Paradise comes on.

Earlier this week Lizzy and I were at one of our favorite spots, The Whiskey Jam at Winner’s (adjacent to Loser's) bar. It also happened to be the night Vanderbilt moved back in so the bar was abnormally swarmed with 21 year olds. Not wanting to hang out with co-ed’s we decided to wander across the street to a more “mature bar”. Ha. Which is where we ran into a friend who lives in our apartment complex.

We ended up chatting with him and his friends and after playing some really “mature” games; we decided it was time to go home. We were getting up to leave when our friend invited us to hang out with them the next night at a private concert they were going to. Come to find out, one of his friends is a long time manager of Phil Vassar. He was playing a private concert for a company’s party the next night and they had back stage access.

Since we didn’t have plans and think we are rock stars, we obviously agreed.

It was one of the most hilarious nights of my life. Phil is a sweetheart and his entire band/team is wicked fun. The only embarrassing part of the night was when Phil’s stage manager asked me to run out on stage and bring Phil a new beer. I don’t really remember it since I have never been in front of so many people before and I’m pretty sure I blacked it out. Phil stopped singing, took the beer from me and kissed me on the cheek to thank me. I am very surprised I didn’t trip over the wires on stage since most of my life involves klutzy moves. 

Our view from side stage


Oops.

Behind that curtain is the stage. Thank god I didn't fall through it

Phil is very agile, he could jump up and down on the piano in a second

Our bad decision to stay out late led us to our new friends, Britney and Natalie. Oh and those flowers? Presents from a homeless man.

We accidentally stayed out way too late and I am now writing this post before work and I can barley see the screen since my eyes are still glued shut from the sand man….damn sand man.

When I moved to Nashville, I told myself I would live up any and all opportunities so I guess I can check “go-backstage-at-a-concert-get-kissed-on-stage-in-front-of-hundreds-of-people-and-have-the-most-hilarious-night-ever” off my list.

XO Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment